Dieting does not mean you eat food that makes you sad! If your idea of the ideal weight loss meal is bland steamed chicken with brown rice and a salad, then you are wrong! You can always add some major ingredients shown by reams of research to help the body burn fat – herbs and spices.
The herbs and spices in your pantry are not just useful in enhancing the flavour of the food you eat, but are some of the most powerful fat-burning nutrients as well.
You probably already love the seasonings because they make your meals taste great, but you might not know that they are powerful weight loss superfoods (1, 2, 3). The best part – these superfoods are easily available and you normally only need a pinch per recipe.
Check out this list of 7 important herbs that are scientifically proven to help you lose all the weight you want!
- Fenugreek: This herb is derived from Trigonella foenum-graecum, a plant belonging to the legume family. It is widely used in multiple cuisines and dishes. Several studies have shown that fenugreek may help control appetite, alleviate ulcers, decrease cholesterol, and promote weight loss. (4, 5). A study published in ‘PharmacologyOnLine’ has found that fenugreek seed extract is effective in reducing the total body and adipose (fatty) tissue weight (6). Additionally, the high antioxidant flavonoid content in fenugreek seeds can help reduce inflammation (7). Conclusion: Fenugreek has been shown to control appetite and food intake to support weight loss.
- 2. Turmeric: This golden spice is well known for its flavor, aroma, vibrant color, and potent medicinal properties. It has amazing anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe inflammation caused in the body. (8, 9) The presence of curcumin in turmeric is really effective for boosting weight loss and trimming belly fat. (10)Conclusion: The compound curcumin in turmeric may help you with several health conditions, including inflammation and weight loss.
- Dandelion: These are the beautiful yellow flowers that contain a variety of nutrients. The roots of dandelion are loaded with fatty acids, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins, carotenoids, pectin, sugars (e.g. glucose, fructose, and sucrose), and mucilage. (11) Moreover, it may also contain high levels of the antioxidant beta-carotene, which helps against oxidative stress and cellular damage (12). Although more clarification is needed, but some research shows that dandelion may help improve carbohydrate metabolism and reduce fat absorption, which is linked to losing excess body weight. (13)Conclusion: Some studies have shown that dandelion may help in weight loss. However, it needs some more research to substantiate this.
- Ginseng: Ginseng is also one of the amazing plants that have many health-boosting properties. Firstly, it may help control excess energy intake and suppress food intake. (14) Furthermore, it may improve leptin resistance, as well as increase your metabolic rate. (14)Conclusion: Several researchers claim that ginseng has anti-obesity properties. However, more studies are needed to examine ginseng’s impact on weight loss in humans.
- Cumin: Popular for its nutty flavor, cumin is packed with numerous health benefits. Various studies revealed that cumin is an amazing spice that you can use to accelerate your weight loss, including cutting down of waist size and body fat. (15) A study of 78 overweight adults found that those who took cumin supplement three times a day for eight weeks lost 2.2 pounds more than those who took a placebo. (16)Conclusion: Cumin is a common spice that has been shown to effectively decrease body weight.
- Ginger: It is often used in folk medicines to get help with a wide variety of health ailments. Several studies showed that ginger is significantly effective in lowering both body fat and body weight. (17) Basically, it may help lose weight by increasing metabolism and fat burning while simultaneously decreasing fat absorption and appetite (18). Conclusion: Ginger can help boost metabolism and accelerate the weight loss process.
- Garlic: Known to have a bundle of health benefits, garlic can lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases, as well as components of metabolic syndrome including blood pressure, waist circumference, triglycerides, and fasting blood glucose. (19, 20) Moreover, it is also helpful in improving appetite, skin diseases, common weaknesses, cough, rheumatism, etc (21). Conclusion: Garlic has been shown to have many health benefits from common weaknesses to weight loss.
Besides adding delicious flavor to your favorite foods, many herbs and spices have major health benefits. It is one of the easiest and effective ways to reduce weight and to stay healthy. What’s even better is that there are multiple benefits of including spices in your diet. Most of these herbs and spices can be used as seasoning on your meals – making it rather easy to incorporate them in your food. The best part is these aforementioned herbs and spices can provide a burst of health benefits with hardly any side effects.
Additionally, you can join the SuperFood WeightLoss Accelerator program to get help with your weight loss plan and to understand the importance of these herbs. You can learn more about how these nutrients (found in these herbs and other plants) can skyrocket your weight loss and health.
Stay Connected and Join Today!