Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is an important medicinal plant that has been used to manage stress, boost energy levels and improve concentration for over 3000 years in Ayurveda. (1) Have you heard about this herb? Are you supplementing your diet with any weight loss supplement or dietary supplement containing this amazing herb? “ Well, here is a list of some health benefits of Ashwagandha that may be just right for you. Keep reading and you will get to know how his herb may improve your overall health.
Benefits of Ashwagandha
Helps Reduce Blood Sugar Level
Ashwagandha, also known as Winter cherry, has been shown to improve the health of diabetic patients in several studies. Two of them are described here-
A research study has confirmed that this herb has the ability to reduce the fasting blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.(2) Another study has shown that people who supplemented their diet with Ashwagandha powder lowered their blood sugar level effectively.(3)
Chances are, this herb may prove helpful if you want to manage your blood glucose level. This may be used in powdered, capsules or liquid extract form.
May Be Effective Against Cancer
A study has suggested that this herb possesses anti-tumorigenic, cancer preventive properties that may help improve an individual’s (who may be suffering from cancer) quality of life. (4) Even animal studies have shown that Withaferin, a major bioactive component of this herb, is helpful in promoting the death of tumor cells. (5) If you or a loved one is suffering from this deadly disease, then you may want to think about this wonderful herb.
Helps Manage Stress
Stress is considered a common risk factor for obesity. (6) What can be done to manage stress? Again, this herb may play a role. Even a recent study has shown that extract of Ashwagandha root reduces stress and anxiety by lowering cortisol levels (stress hormone) in adults. (7)Taking Ashwagandha root or a supplement containing the extract of this wonderful herb may help you manage stress.
SuperFoodWeightLossAccelerator’s Mega Mineral is a premium weight loss supplement made from a proprietary blend of extraordinary herbs including Ashwagandha and users have reported that this product has reduced their cortisol level and helped them manage stress. You may give this a try to experience the results.
Helps Reduce Body Fat and Increase Muscle Mass
If you are a gym freak, this herb has something more to offer you. Yes, it has been found in a research study that Ashwagandha supplementation has helped people increase muscle strength and decrease body fat percentage. (8) So, this herb may be the right one when taken in conjunction with a resistance training program.
So, now may be the right time for you to start taking this plant-based whole food. Consuming this food in supplement form may offer an easy way to get incredible results, but be careful to choose the right one for you. It is always advisable to consult your healthcare provider before starting any diet, dietary supplement or any weight loss supplement.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The statements and/or product(s) described in this article are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, mitigate or prevent any disease, illness or health condition. It is advisable to consult your healthcare provider before making any changes to your lifestyle, diet or dietary supplement program.
- Mirjalili MH1, Moyano E, Bonfill M, Cusido RM, Palazón J. Steroidal lactones from Withaniasomnifera, an ancient plant for novel medicine.Molecules. 2009 Jul 3;14(7):2373-93. doi: 10.3390/molecules14072373.
- Akshay P. Agnihotri, Smita D. Sontakke, Vijay R. Thawani,1 Anand Saoji, and Vaidya Shishir S. Goswami2 Effects of Withaniasomnifera in patients of schizophrenia: A randomized, double blind, placebo controlled pilot trial study Indian J Pharmacol. 2013 Jul-Aug; 45(4): 417–418.
- Andallu B1, Radhika B. Hypoglycemic, diuretic and hypocholesterolemic effect of winter cherry (Withaniasomnifera, Dunal) root.Indian J Exp Biol. 2000 Jun;38(6):607-9.
- Dushani L. Palliyaguru,1 Shivendra V. Singh,2 and Thomas W. Kensler1,2 Withaniasomnifera: from prevention to treatment of cancerMol Nutr Food Res. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2017 Jun 1.
- Kakar SS1, Ratajczak MZ2, Powell KS3, Moghadamfalahi M4, Miller DM2, Batra SK5, Singh SK1. Withaferin a alone and in combination with cisplatin suppresses growth and metastasis of ovarian cancer by targeting putative cancer stem cells.PLoS One. 2014 Sep 29;9(9):e107596. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0107596. eCollection 2014.
- Rajita Sinha, PhD1,2,3 and Ania M. Jastreboff, MD, PhdStress as a common risk factor for obesity and addiction Biol Psychiatry. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2014 May 1.
- Chandrasekhar K1, Kapoor J, Anishetty S. A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults.Indian J Psychol Med. 2012 Jul;34(3):255-62. doi: 10.4103/0253-7176.106022.
- Wankhede S1, Langade D2, Joshi K3, Sinha SR4, Bhattacharyya S5. Examining the effect of Withaniasomnifera supplementation on muscle strength and recovery: a randomized controlled trial.J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015 Nov 25;12:43. doi: 10.1186/s12970-015-0104-9. eCollection 2015.